Last Updated: 4/8/2021
JOB TITLE: Brewer/Cellarman
LOCATION: Great North Aleworks, Manchester, NH
REPORTS TO: Head Brewer/Cellar Manager
POSITION TYPE: Full-Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
SHIFT: Dynamic to include nights and weekends
POSITION SUMMARY: A brewing position with secondary duties to include cellaring and centrifuge operation as necessary. Responsible for following established SOPs and best practices in order to produce high quality beer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operation of a 20 barrel, semi-automated brewhouse.
- Directly responsible for maintaining high quality standards in all areas of brewing and cellaring.
- Maintain a sanitary and micro-biologically stable work environment through Clean in Place (CIP) procedures and solid general housekeeping practices.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Yeast handling, including harvesting, laboratory cell counts, and pitching.
- Monitor and record fermentations including routine analysis of in-process beer.
- Centrifuge operation; Carbonate beer and prepare for it for packaging.
- Continual lifting, dragging, carrying, and manipulating of hoses, parts, pumps, buckets, and reservoirs requiring standing, walking, crouching, and lifting regularly throughout the duration of shift.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance on equipment and infrastructure in collaboration with other staff.
- Aid in the professional development of new brewers.
- Participate in sensory training and weekly sensory sessions.
- Manage raw materials including receiving, sorting, rotating, and performing weekly inventory counts.
- Additional duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Computer and other process automation systems.
- Brewing raw materials including water, hops, malt, and yeast.
- Cleaning and sanitizing chemicals.
- Pumps, hoses, valves, clamps, gaskets, and other brewery equipment.
- Fork lift/aerial lift.
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Passion for beer.
- Commitment to safety.
- Demonstrated interest in continuous learning about beer and brewing.
- Positive outlook and attitude.
- Ability to maintain productivity with limited supervision.
- Adherence to quality standards and attention to detail.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to manage multiple processes at one time.
- Self-motivated with good time management skills.
- Ability to coordinate with other departments according to schedule.
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff throughout the brewery.
- Work shifts including nights, weekends, and (rare) holidays.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Have a minimum of 3 years of experience in a commercial brewery as a brewer/cellarman.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the brewing process.
- Have a thorough understanding of good cellar practices.
- Experience with EKOS a plus.
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 55 lbs.
- Full dexterity, and use of senses to identify potential hazards.
- Must be able to participate in critical assessment of beers.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Typical brewery environment: frequently high levels of noise, wet/slippery conditions, cold/hot climate.
- The employee regularly works with hazardous materials, such as cleaning and sanitizing chemicals.
- The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
- The employee regularly works around high voltage, hot water, CO2, compressed air, and steam.
- Paid time off.
- Company-paid holidays.
- 401(k) plan.
- Health insurance – medical/dental/vision.
- Discounted beer, food, and merchandise.
Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
No drop-ins please.
Great North Aleworks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Tasting Room Hours
Thursday3:00 - 7:00
Friday3:00 - 7:00
Saturday1:00 - 7:00
Sunday1:00 - 5:00