DATE POSTED: 4/3/20
JOB TITLE: Brewer/Cellarman
LOCATION: Great North Aleworks, Manchester, NH
REPORTS TO: Head Brewer/Cellar Manager
POSITION TYPE: Full Time, Hourly Non-Exempt
SHIFT: Dynamic to include nights and weekends
POSITION SUMMARY: Primarily a brewing position with secondary duties to include cellaring as necessary. Responsible for following established SOPs and best practices in order to produce high quality beer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operation of a 20 barrel brewhouse.
- Directly responsible for maintaining quality standards in all areas of brewing and cellaring.
- Maintain a sanitary and micro-biologically stable work environment through Clean in Place (CIP) procedures and solid general housekeeping practices.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Occasional yeast handling, including harvesting, laboratory cell counts, and pitching.
- Occasionally monitor and record fermentations including routine analysis of in-process beer.
- Centrifuge operation.
- Carbonate beer and prepare for it for packaging.
- Continual lifting, dragging, carrying, and manipulating of hoses, parts, pumps, buckets, and reservoirs requiring standing, walking, crouching, and lifting regularly throughout the duration of shift.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance on equipment and infrastructure in collaboration with other brewers and maintenance staff.
- Aid in the professional development of new brewers.
- Additional duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Computer and other process automation systems
- Brewing raw materials including water, hops, malt, and yeast
- Cleaning and sanitizing chemicals
- Pumps, hoses, valves, clamps, gaskets, and other brewery equipment
- Fork lift/aerial lift
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Positive outlook and attitude.
- Ability to maintain productivity with limited supervision.
- Maintain high safety and quality standards.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to manage multiple processes at one time.
- Self-motivated with good time management skills.
- Ability to coordinate with other departments according to schedule.
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff throughout the brewery.
- Work shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Have a minimum of 1 year of experience in a commercial brewery as a brewer.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the brewing process.
- Have a basic understanding of good cellar practices.
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 55 lbs.
- Full dexterity, and use of senses to identify potential hazards.
- Must be able to participate in critical assessment of beers.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Typical brewery environment: frequently high levels of noise, wet/slippery conditions, cold/hot climate.
- The employee regularly works with hazardous materials.
- The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
- The employee regularly works around high voltage, hot water, and steam.
INTERESTED APPLICANTS: Please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No drop-ins please.
Great North Aleworks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We do not have any other job openings at this time. If you would like to submit your resume for future consideration, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Tasting Room Hours
Thursday3:00 - 7:00
Friday3:00 - 7:00
Saturday1:00 - 7:00
Sunday1:00 - 5:00